The day of January 16th 1996 a snow storm was at its worst over the country of Denmark. On the news they talked about a severe winter and told people to stay inside because of the massive amount of snow and the bitterly cold wind. But one little new born baby girl didn’t know about all this. This little new born girl lay cuddled up in warm blankets with smiling faces surrounding her. That little girl has today turned nineteen, and that nineteen year-old girl is today spending a little amount of time doing what she always does on her birthday: She takes a step back from the celebrations and take a look back on the life she has already lived and the life she has ahead of her. Doing this alone time she has the last couple of years been written down her biggest wishes about her future, and out of that has come a Bucket List. Today I’ll share 19 of the things on that list to wish myself a Happy19th Birthday.
My Bucket List is filled up with different kind of stuff, right from thing I want to own to things I want to try before I die:
- RUN A MARATHON I’ve always seen those who run a marathon as absolute incredible human beings. I know it’s not very healthy for the human body running a marathon, but I sure think it’s amazing how those people can go on and on for 42 kilometeres. See, that’s impressive!
- ATTEND A GAY PRIDE PARADE I’m no gay myself, but more and more people around come out as gay. Not long ago one of my nearest friends came out and I got and eye up for how many people around the world who now absolutely detest this person, my dear friend. For me it’s no bad thing being gay and they have my absolute support for coming out and being who they really are. By attending a gay pride parade I want to show that I see it as a positive thing that people are different, even when it comes to sexuality.
- GO TO A DRIVE IN MOVIE Oh, which girl doesn’t dream about this. After watching Grease I fell in absolutely love with the idea of a drive in movie. Whether I’ll be there with a loved one or a couple of friends time will show, but it’s definitely something I have to try!
- ATTEND THE FLOATING LANTERN CERMONI, HAWAII I don’t know anybody personally who has attended this ceremony, but from what I’ve read and seen on the net, this is way too beautiful for me not to see!
- WATCH THE BALL DROP, TIMES SQUARE I’ve never been in the U.S., but I sure soon will. I’ve seen so many movies, clips on the net and pictures from New Years Eve on Times Square and I must say it looks like they’re all having an amazing night together there in the middle of the big city. I want to be a part of this big event some day.
- GO BUNGEE JUMPING Had you asked me a couple of years ago about a Bucket List, this one would definitely not had been on there. I would never have thought of it. But lately many of my friends have both tried Free Fall and Bungee Jumping and they all say the same about it: At first it’s absolutely awful, but then your body gets filled with adrenaline and you’ll have an experience of your life. This, I tell you, I need to try myself.
- SEE A SHOOTING STAR I’ve always thought that there is something very magical about seeing a star shoot across the sky and I wish to be witness to one of those magical moments.
- WATCH EVERY SINGLE EPISODE OF FRIENDS – IN ORDER I’ve always been a big fan of the TV-series Friends, but have only seen them when they randomly appeared on my TV-screen doing one of the rare moments of me having my TV turned on. But then when I’ve finally got to see it, it has kept me bound the the sofa, wanting more.
- GO CLIFF JUMPING This is just like the number 6, the bungee jump, beside no one I know, as I know of, have tried it. It looks scary but also incredibly fun when you see it in movies and clips on the net and it is definitely something I need to convince some of my friends to do with me!
- VISIT THE ORIGINAL STARBUCKS, SEATTLE I’ve never been a coffee drinker, I’m one of those tea-people, but I love spending time in coffee houses. I love sitting in there, sipping on a cup of tea, and watch the different types of people who come and go. Sitting in the original Starbucks in Seattle will be the icing on the cake!
- SEE THE NORTHEN LIGHT I don’t have much to say about this. It’s just a nature miracle I need to see!
- SHOWER UNDER A WATERFALL A typical movie things: To take a shower under a waterfall. I’ve wanted to try this since I was very little, and I’ve sure not out-grown that dream of a nature shower.
- LIVE A COUPLE OF YEARS ABROAD This is something I’ve known that I wanted to do for a long time, and the “need” to live abroad has just grown bigger as the years has passed by and when you travel as much as I do you see a lot of places and you may fall in love with these places and you may see yourself living better there instead of home. At least thats what I’ve experienced.
- OWN A POLAROID CAMERA I. Absolutely. Love. These. Cameras.
- STAND ON THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN … after climbing it. When you hear and see someone who has been climbing a mountain telling about their experience they always have a very special facial expression when they reach the point of the story where they got to the top. This feeling of happiness and relief I want to experience myself!
- STAY IN A LOG CABIN WITH FRIENDS DOING CHRISTMAS ... and drink way too much hot chocolate, run around in old, knitted socks and plays load of scrabble.
- LEARN HOW TO SURF I’ve always thought that both surfer girls and guys were pretty cool and I’ve always admired the way they’re able to control that piece of tree (or, well, plastic) in the wild waves. Teach me, someone!
- GO GHOST HUNTING A thing you may now know about me is that I’m very superstitious, and I truly believe that there’s more between heaven and earth than we know of. But even though I’m so sure about this, I want to experience it on my own body, and hopefully a ghost hunting will help.
- VISIT AT LEAST 44 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES I honestly don’t know why I have chosen the number 44, but it seems to me like a number that will get me all around the world. Traveling means a lot to me. I absolutely love spending time in foreign contries, seeing other cultures and meeting new foreign people. I’ve already traveled a lot in my life, but according to the Bucket List I have at least 33 more countries to visit before I die, and I’m sure not sad about that!
All these 19 things I will do everything I have in me to go through with before I die. And now that I’m half way to 38, 1/3 to 57 and 1/4 to 79, I’ll promise myself to continue taking these moments at least once a year looking at both my past and future. Doing these moments there will sure come loads of new things on my Buckets List, and hopefully I’ll be able to go through with them all, so I in my late years can look back on my life and think that I’ve lived the life and got the experiences that I wanted.
Do you have a bucket list?